Sunday, August 22, 2010

The first trick revisited

I find the idea of "the first trick" beautiful and easy to comprehend. But I also find it to be an extremely difficult thing to explain.

The first trick is simple: It's the first frame that someone or something erects in your mind. It's the first 10 pages of a book, the first 10 minutes of a movie, the first minute of a conversation.

Ideally the first trick is not really a trick. It's an open negotiation. We agree on a topic or maybe just we just agree on the boundaries of our social interaction. The first trick is a bit more sinister, cause the first trick is what someone really savvy uses to manipulate you without you ever knowing about it.

Here's how it works. Lets say I want to rule the world. First thing I do is to make a newspaper or a tv-station that brings news. The big secret is: there are almost never any news.  There are things happening, and while they are interesting, they are most often not relevant to your life. At all !
So, as soon as I get you to accept the lie that news are relevant to your life, I own you. Now I can find the craziest most scary stories from all over the world, and having good journalists working for me, they will write about the news and MAKE them relevant to you. For example: There's a bomb that went off in a totally different part of the world. Someone will hint that it's the goddamn terrorist. And another source will volunteer to say that terrorists are coming to your hometown soon. and he will do so, because that will guarantee funding for the think-tank he's working for.
But in reality, terrorists are just a few idiots with little or no organization blowing things up once in a while.

Let me tell you: Terrorists don't scare me. Then can't even manage to kill more than a few thousand people every 5 years. That's just no contest to the hundred of thousands dying from our western bullets. And the beauty of it all is that I can make you believe that it's fair for me, as your leader, to send hundred of thousands of men to the other side of the world and kill all those mf's who wont do as I say.

That's the first trick: making you believe something and as soon as you do. I OWN U !

No comments:

Post a Comment