Sunday, July 25, 2010

When you're the obstacle

It happens all the time: A new psychological study tells us that people can me manipulated by the strangest things. The last such study I read about found that a picture of a library on the wall made people speak softer, that people behave more competitively when they see a sharp leather briefcase and that they keep their desk tidier when there's a scent cleaning agent in the air. Read about the study on Time magazine.

There's one major problems with all these studies: They're missing the point. Or rather, they are missing at least one crucial point.

How come some people do NOT react on these manipulative hidden clues? Shouldn't that be the real point? It's very, very easy to manipulate people. But how come some of us don't bite? What is it that make some people able to NOT fall for these things?

I may fall for a lot of these hidden clues, but I know for a fact that there are plenty of clues that other people react to that I don't react to. So what gives? Am I just wired differently? Or am I thinking in a way that stops me from changing my behaviour, just because of a sharp leather suitcase?

And I'll bet that there are people out there that don't react to clues that I fall for. So, shouldn't someone somewhere try to find out if there's a common MO that will make us more immune to manipulation?

That would be something, wouldn't it? A way to immunize you and me from manipulation, a way that will make us more independent.

Why is no one looking at the other aspect of manipulation, deception and illusions? Where are the studies that help us withstand more.

Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment